By Gina Beretta; Photography by Pexels
Forget the Pinã Colada, this tastes way better!
What could be better than a delicious (and healthy) bowl of warm granola in the morning? Umm, nothing! Homemade granola is actually surprisingly easy to make. You can literally throw anything into the mix because it’s one of those awesome, good for you foods, that you can tweak to suit your taste. After making this at home you’ll wonder why you ever bought the pre-made version in the first place.
Tropical Coconut Granola
– 3 cups rolled oats
– 1 heaping cup almonds, chopped roughly
– ¼ cup poppy seeds
– ¼ cup mixed seeds
– ½ cup coconut flakes
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– ½ teaspoon salt
– ½ cup dried pineapple
– ¾ cup melted coconut oil
– 4 tablespoons honey
1. Preheat the oven to 130 °C. Combine the dry ingredients (except the pineapple – set it aside for later). Whisk the wet ingredients until smooth. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients in a large bowl until everything is mixed through.
2. Spread the mixture on the baking sheet in a thin layer (use two pans if necessary).
3. Bake for an hour, stirring every 20 minutes. During the last 20 minutes of baking, stir in the pineapple chunks.
4. Remove the granola from the oven and leave to cool a bit. You’ll be tempted to stir the mixture right away but don’t! The granola will form crunchy clusters as it cools.
5. Store in an airtight container or jar.