The 38th J&B Met, which took place at Kenilworth Racecourse over the weekend, attracted some high-profile celebrities, socialites, horse-racing fans and fashionistas dressed to impress – along with our very own blogger Jade Cupido…
J&B Urban Honey – whisky infused with the flavour of honey – inspired the theme for this year, ‘Made for the Mix’. The theme allowed for much interpretation and I really enjoyed how diverse all the outfits were.
Well done to Zakiti Bhengu and Christopher de Bliquy who won the most elegant couple competition! The couple opted for dramatic, contrasting attire. Zakiti wore a layered dress and Christopher wore white pants and a patterned brightly coloured blazer.
On the equestrian side of things Futura, ridden by master jockey Bernard Fayd’Herbe, won the J&B Met purse of R2.5 million! The festivities were centered on the ‘It’s a Rush Village’ where a variety of food trucks and public bar facilities kept us busy, while local band Mi Casa kept the crowd entertained.
Below are a few of my favourite looks from the event…
• MTV presenter Nomuzi Mabena wore a Joy Twala creation, a pastel-hue skirt paired with a pearl-embellished crop top, offset with gold chains. The outfit was completed with a pair of beige stiletto heels.
• Leigh-Anne Williams showed off her toned body in a gold-and-black ensemble of a black bra and skirt with gold floral detail. She completed her look with gold accessories and a crown-braid hairstyle.
• Liezel van der Westhuizen opted for a blue dress from Icecherry Design paired with white sandals, finishing off her look with a Legacy collection necklace made of original Robben Island prison fence.
• Comedian Mongezi Ngcobondwane and his wife Mome contrasted each other. Mo stood out in a pastel-yellow suit and a tropical print shirt with red high-top sneakers and Mome wore a black satin gown with lace and sequined detail.
• The Miss South Africa 2015 finalists, with former Miss South Africa Melinda Bam, looked gorgeous too!
I’m a creative at heart, a graphic designer and I’m currently studying visual arts. I’m a complete sucker for fashion, with a keen interest in collecting vintage pieces. I don’t have a particular style – it all depends on my mood and of course the weather! I do believe that when it comes to styling, it’s all about the staples in your wardrobe. The rule I live by? Every woman should own a pair of butt-hugging jeans, that she can rely on for any occasion… You can follow Jade on Twitter here!