Compiled by Crystelle Coulon; Photography by Freepik.com
So… what’s your situation?
Not sure how to exercise or eat for your current situation? You know, you have to lose weight fast or work is eating into your exercise time. Fret not! Dietician Lisa Drayer and nutritionist Cassandra Forsythe sort through the ever-changing advice floating around.
1. Need quick weight loss for next month’s high-school reunion.
Go with… Cardio
In the short term, the StairMaster burns more kilojoules than pumping iron, so you’ll lose weight faster.
2. Want lasting weight loss or need to break a plateau.
Go with… Weights
Adding to your muscle mass takes time, but it will boost the number of kilojoules your body burns even when you’re not working out.
3. Like to veg out on the couch after work.
Go with… An early dinner
The more time your body has to burn off kilojoules before bed, the better.
4. Prefer to work out at night.
Go with… Reservations for 8pm (or later)
If you haven’t filled up with a days’ worth of kilojoules beforehand, it doesn’t matter what time you eat.
5. Easily lose track of how many servings you help yourself to.
Go with… Dining solo
You’ll eat less if you pay attention to how much food is on your plate.
6. Have friends who are healthy eaters or are also trying to lose weight.
Go with… Social eating
You’ll be more mindful of what you eat when you have a supportive audience.
7. Think half a cup is a laughably small serving size.
Go with… Three meals a day
Cutting out snacks is an easy way to regulate your daily kilojoule intake and allows you to eat larger meals.
8. Get hunger pangs if you haven’t eaten in an hour.
Go with… Grazing
When your body thinks it’s starving, it stores kilojoules. Having five to six small meals evens out blood sugar and cranks metabolism.
This is the easiest way to stop emotional eating, according to experts.