20 Beauty Buys That’ll Get You Beach-Ready In A Flash
By Caelia Corse, Gotlhokwang Angoma-Mzini, photography by Nadia von Scotti and James Garaghty
Lumpy derriere, stretch marks? Skin in need of an overall overhaul? Help is at hand!
We’ve got the tips and tricks that’ll get you beach-ready and glowing with confidence this summer.
Firm Finish In Sight
According to the American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, cellulite affects 80 to 90 percent of us-so, every woman without a Victoria’s contract. But despite being as common as bloating or blocked pores, it’s a major cause of bikini anxiety. According to experts, poor circulation can exacerbate the look of lumps-so if you’re on a mission to de-lumpify your derrière, try dry body brushing to plump up your skin on your bum and thighs. While there’s no miracle cellulite cure, derms believe there are ways to temporarily minimise it-like using products containing caffeine.
“Caffeine dehydrates, which can cause fat cells between the fibrous tissue in cellulite to shrink. But this is temporary”, says dermatologist Dr Shobhan Manoharan. We reckon it’s worth a try-along with these hero toning products-firm finish in sight!
1. Carribean Tan Body Scrub Cinnamon & Coconut Skin Smoothing Exfoliator (R60), hits all the right notes. A natural sugar exfoliator infused with jojaba oil that restores moisture and removes dead skin cells.
2. Clarins Tonic Body Treatment Oil (R500), tones and prevents skin slackening by improving elasticity.
3. Clarisonic Smart Profile (R4 499), this four-speed face and body cleaning system exfoliates and massages for softer skin.
4. Clarins Body Shaping Cream (R550), a body cream that enhances skin elasticity and tone.
5. Elancyl Activ’ Slimming Massager & Gel (R495), the massager applicator makes getting this ivy-extract and stimulating caffeine gel onto your skin completely fuss-free. Dimples begone!
Fake Baking: this summer, invest in a good gradual tanner. Swimming in chlorinated water eats away your fake tan! Top up every few days with a gradual tanner to keep your colour up.
A bronzed-up skin can help conceal some not-so healthy eating habits. “It gives the illusion of a more toned body”, explains St.Tropez skin finishing expert, Michael Brown. Think of it like contouring-apply an extra coat to areas you want to disguise; the darker shade will help “deepen” the area. Then highlight your good bits.
Use a body illuminator along your collarbone and on your shoulders to bring light to those areas. Noteworthy: innovations in gradual tanning formulas now mean you can apply in the shower. Leave on for three minutes (apply hair mask!) then wash and go. No sticky residue. Give these concealing agents a try:
1. Environ Derma-Lac Lotion (R280); energise dull, tired looking skin. Contains alpha hydroxyl acids, which provide both moisturising and exfoliating properties.
2. The Body Shop Drops of Sun Glow Creator (R250), add a drop to your moisturiser or foundation for an instant, streak-free, natural tan that washes off.
3. St.Tropez Instant Tan (R123), this no-streaks lotion glides onto skin to give an even tan that lasts for up to 24 hours.
4. Dove Summer Glow Nourishing Lotion (R53), a lotion that doubles as a subtle gradual self-tanner.
5. Kiehl’s Crème de Corps Soy Milk & Honey Whipped Body Butter (R695), light on skin, but heavy in 24-hour hydration.
6. Armani Privè Rose d’Arabie, Christmas Limited Edition 100ml (R3 350), a sensual blend of fragrance that’s perfect for summery nights out.
Enthusiastic summer waxing can cause nasty ingrown hairs. But gentle manual exfoliation with a loofah can help by “removing the surface dead skin cells and clogged pores, and encouraging hair growth to progress in a normal fashion”, says Manoharan. Topical exfoliants or scrubs are a delicate option for sensitive-skinned types. Stretch marks more your body beef? Stay moisturised. Lack of moisture content in the skin makes marks appear darker. Choose products containing natural oils.
“Rosehip is high in vitamin C, essential for collagen production, which prevents the formation of stretch marks and improves the appearance of existing marks,” says naturopath and medical scientist, Annalies Corse. Give these body fixers a go:
1. Sh’Zen Skin Stimulator (R199), cheerio dead cells, hello radiant skin!
2. Mandy’s Ingrown Hair Serum (R44), soothes away underarm and bikini irritation.
3. Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Intensive Moisturizing Body Treatment (R345), hydrates by sealing in moisture; lavender helps relax and soothe the senses.
4. Bio-oil, 60ml (R75), an essential all-rounder for skin that needs some healing.
5. Dorco Shai (R139), rogue hairs peeking out of your neoprene? This six-blade shaver comes to the rescue! Lavender extract and aloe vera soothe and smoothe.
6. Charlotte Rhys (R106), made from granular salts and fresh-smelling natural oils to leave skin clean and moisturised.
7. Lux Soft Caress Body Wash (R25), hydration is the secret to young looking skin and this creams locks in water for 24 hours.
Can’t Be Mist!
Give these a spritz for head-to-toe freshness:
1. Garnier Ambre Solaire Dry Mist (R120), super-quick absorbing sunblock, zero grease. Feels light on your skin. Smells like summer.
2. Juice Beauty Hydrating (R400), tone with refreshing blend of rosehip, ylang ylang and resveratrol rich grapeseed oil-for a radiant complexion.
3. Avène Thermal Spring Water (R150), helps soothe irritated skin, reduces redness and keeps you feeling fresh.
Worried about bikini season? Check out the 6 things we bet you never knew about cellulite and kiss bikini anxiety goodbye.