9 Best Yoga Apps To Level-Up Your At-Home Practice
Between Apple’s App Store and Google Play, there are so many yoga apps to choose from right now that it can be overwhelming to pick the best yoga app for you. Don’t let decision fatigue interrupt your flow, though. Instead, check out this list of 9 top-rated yoga apps for iOS and Android devices. It’s been compiled based on overall rankings and the number of reviews. (Some have as many as 30,000!)
Each one is worth the storage space on your phone, according to the thousands of people who use them to practice. Want the best yoga app for beginners? You’ll find it below. Same goes for the best free yoga app. Just fyi, all the yoga apps below are free to download, though, most require some type of membership commitment in order to access their classes after a free trial.
Whether you’re looking to start a new yoga practice, or are a seasoned pro, these 9 best yoga apps are a great way to learn the basics or change things up. Besides, nothing beats the convenience of being able to flow on your own from the comfort of your own living room, right?
1. Glo (Formerly YogaGlo)
- Best for: Personalised yoga programs
- Price: R359.99 per month
- Average rating: 4.9 stars
- Number of reviews: 11.7K
One of the top-ranked yoga apps on the Apple App Store, Glo offers more than 4,000 classes led by star yogis like Kathryn Budig. Whether you’re looking for a beginner’s yoga class or a meditation session–you’ll find an option on this app. The preferences are super customisable, too – you can also filter based on time of day, style, level, and duration. Or, it’ll create a program for you based on your yoga goals. Want to finally nail that headstand? Feel what it’s like to fly in crow pose for the first time? This is the app for that.
- Reviewer rave: “There is such a wealth of knowledge, intention, customisation, and variation in types of yogic practices, as well as professionally trained teachers. I have been using [Glo] for about four years now and am very pleased with the app for my iPhone or iPad. I seriously cannot recommend this app and program enough.”
2. Asana Rebel
- Best for: yoga and wellness info
- Price: R199.99 per month
- Average rating: 4.6 stars
- Number of reviews: 28.9K
With nearly 30,000 reviews on Apple iTunes, alone, Asana Rebel is one of the most-popular and top-rated yoga apps out there. Plus, it offers way more than yoga with guided meditations, high-intensity workouts, plus other challenges and content within the app.
- Reviewer rave: “I’ve been doing yoga regularly for a few months now, and I’ve never had such a motivating, smooth, and exhausting, but enjoyable, workout. I felt like they did an amazing job of structuring truly full workouts into the yoga sessions, and this could easily be the only app one uses to stay fit.”
3. Alo Moves
- Best for: an in-studio experience
- Price: from R29.99
- Average rating: 4.5/5
- Number of reviews: 3,414
If you’re looking for a true yoga studio experience, then Alo Moves is for you. The app has a library of over 1,500 classes which it adds to weekly. Its classes offer yoga flows, meditations, sound baths, and other types of fitness too, such as Pilates or HIIT.
- Reviewer rave: “Amazed at how many classes are available and I love how there are so many “series” so you don’t need to be that overwhelmed when picking out which class to do. The quality of the videos and the instruction is top-notch, I feel very worked after each session. Minimal to no equipment required, which makes it great for home workouts anywhere at any time! Strongly considering purchasing the app after this trial period!”
4. Down Dog
- Best for: Learning new flows
- Price: Free (full version is R79.99)
- Average rating: 4.9 stars
- Number of reviews: 74k
Get bored doing the same flow over and over? With this yoga app, you’ll never do the same class twice since it can configure over 300,000 different workouts for you. You can choose from seven different instructors too, and the music changes dynamically to be in sync with your breath for each class.
- Reviewer rave: “I like how I can customize the practice options. Length, focus on a body part or function, type of music, speed, instructor, and more. As a beginner, I love the reminders for breathing sprinkled in, as well as reminders to adjust the posture so you are getting it correct.”
5. Daily Yoga
- Best for: turning your practice into a habit
- Price: R149.99 per month
- Average rating: 4.8 stars
- Number of reviews: 51.6K
If your yogic goal is to become more consistent with your practice, the Daily Yoga app can help you with over 500 flows and 70 yoga programmes. New to yoga? The app offers a 2-week programme just for beginners to learn the basics, and if you’re advanced – there are plenty of options for you, too. The app also offers a community platform feature where you can connect with other yogis and experts.
- Reviewer rave: “I’ve always been interested in yoga but never really knew what to do. They have a test you can do before you start to see how flexible and strong you are, and then they base the workouts off of that. All around a great app! And I feel so much better and less tense or stressed.”
6. 5 Minute Yoga
- Best for: quick mat workouts
- Price: R149.99 for unlimited access
- Average rating: 4.4/5
- Number of reviews: 13.3K
This app makes it possible to squeeze in a solid flow — even if you only have a handful of minutes to spare. How it works is that each class consists of five postures, which you do for one minute each. The app uses a timer to count down each asana so you can stay in the (brief) moment without checking your watch.
- Reviewer rave: “Wonderful quick way to get your practice in everyday, even if you “don’t have time” highly recommend!”
7. Yoga Studio: Mind and Body
- Best for: finding your personal flow
- Price: R29.99 per month
- Average rating: 4.3 stars
- Number of reviews: 9.97K
If you want a customisable yoga practice experience, plus guided meditations, check out the Yoga Studio app. It has over 150 unique classes and a “Create your own Class” feature that lets you stitch together parts of your favourites sequences to create something custom based on what you want to do that day.
- Reviewer Rave: “The variety is impressive. In over a month of practising at least three times per week, I’ve only repeated classes because I like them. There is plenty of content to do a new class every day. I also like being able to create my own ‘mixes’ from other classes.”
8. Find What Feels Good
- Best for: fostering a mind/body connection
- Price: R174.99 per month
- Average review: 4.3 stars
- Number of reviews: 9.97K ratings
One of the OG yoga YouTube stars, Adriene from Yoga with Adriene, is back with an app that features all of her feel-good yoga content. A subscription gets you 100+ hours of yoga and meditation class content that you can download and watch later (even offline), which is perfect for travel or when you want to workout but the WiFi is spotty.
- Reviewer Rave: “The right instructor makes a huge difference, and Adriene is truly gifted. Many of the practices, like the Chakra series, are unique to this app (and the community), and why I just can’t give it up, ever.”
- Best for: using yoga as a spiritual practice
- Price: R199.99 per month
- Average rating: 4.8/5
- Number of reviews: 39.4K
If you want to seriously Zen out, then the Gaia yoga app is for you. It focuses on merging mindfulness and spirituality with your yoga practice. Although, even if that’s not your thing, you’re still bound to find a video that you like since Gaia’s video library includes over 8,000 workouts.
- Reviewer rave: “The content is always getting better and better, and I love knowing that I have this wealth of quality, mind-expanding information at the touch of a button.”
This article was originally published on www.womenshealthmag.com