A Must-Try Coconut Flour Crust Pizza
By Amy Rankin; Photography by Lisa Linder
Grab a slice!
Coconut is such a multi-purpose ingredient: we drink the water, add flakes to our granola and cook with the oil. The flour is just as versatile and easy to use. Case in point: this delicious pizza pie! Besides being gluten-free it’s also packed with fibre and rich in protein.
Coconut Flour Pizza
– 80g coconut flour
– 1 tbsp mixed herbs
– Pinch salt
– Black pepper
– 3 free-range eggs
– 2 tbsp coconut cream
– 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
– 1 clove garlic
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– 200g cherry tomatoes, sliced
– 35g mushrooms
– 60g hard goat’s cheese Parsley
– Lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Combine the coconut flour, herbs, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy. Mix the eggs into the flour mix, then mix in the cream.
2. Line a tray with baking paper and grease the paper. Place the dough on the tray and, using your fingers, push towards the edges to make a round shape. It should be just less than five-millimetres thick. Bake for 15 minutes.
3. While baking, sauté the red onion and garlic in the oil over a medium heat for two minutes. Add three tablespoons water and continue to sauté until it’s absorbed. Add the tomatoes and 60ml water; reduce for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the pizza base from the oven, spoon the sauce all over, then add the mushrooms and cheese and bake for a further five minutes.
5. Serve with parsley, lemon zest and extra black pepper.
Looking for more easy (meat-free) dinner recipes to whip up? Try one of these delicious vegan recipes, or this 10-minute baby marrow, pesto, feta pasta dish, and if you’re looking for something with an Asian twist give this tofu stir-fry a go.