A Guilt-Free Popsicle Recipe Just In Time For Summer
For a guilt-free summer treat, here’s how to make these kiwi and spanspek popsicles…
To make the simple syrup, combine one cup water and one cup sugar in a saucepan. Reduce until a syrup consistency forms. To make it diabetic-friendly, substitute the sugar for xylitol or stevia.
Kiwi And Spanspek Popsicles
– ⅔ cup simple syrup, divided
– 4 tsp lemon juice, divided
– 1 cup kiwi purée (blend kiwis until a purée forms)
– 1 cup spanspek purée (blend spanspek slices until a purée forms)
– Splash of Campari
1. It’s best to make these the day before and leave to freeze overnight. Mix half the simple syrup and lemon juice with each of the fruit purées in separate bowls. Add Campari to the melon mixture.
2. Pour kiwi mixture into eight juice bar moulds, leaving room at the top. Add sticks and freeze until firm (about one hour). Pour melon mixture on top of kiwi layer and freeze for at least one more hour.
3. Briefly dip moulds in warm water to loosen and serve.
SERVES 8. Per serving: 376kJ, 0g fat, 24g carbs, 5mg sodium, 2g fibre, 1g protein
Looking for more healthy treats that’ll help you keep cool in summer? Try this coconut coffee ‘nice cream’ recipe.